In the world of freelancing, you have elements of planning, revising, and reviewing content for publication. This type of job falls under the freelance editing jobs category. Freelance editing jobs can be done both online and offline. As the name implies it isn’t a salaried job. It will most likely be a pay as you go type of job where you are working on contract.
Often a freelancer will work for multiple people at one time. Freelance editing jobs can be a fun and relatively simple way to earn some extra money. It is done from home and on your own schedule.
Freelance editors will work alongside publishers, authors, writers, and projects managers. Freelance editing jobs are found almost anywhere now:
- Medical fields
- Broadcasting houses
- Media outlets
Editing jobs, though very demanding, can be rewarding too especially if you have a passion for it.
What Freelance Editing Jobs Entail
- You will need to evaluate submissions by writers to decide what is published.
- The job involves reading and correcting content. You will also be checking for grammatical and spelling errors.
- You will be revising text so that it is readable by targeted audiences.
- Freelance editors also work with the writers to help figure out their ideas.
- They are in charge of approving final versions of documents.
- The job entails planning and coordinating materials for publication. This can be online or offline for magazines, newspapers, blogs, landing pages, and books.
- Editors will ensure that only high-quality materials get published.
- It can be about commenting on a product after proofreading to improve the quality. One might also need to suggest titles and headings for material at his or her disposal.
Where to Get Freelance Editing Jobs
Freelance editing jobs are found both online and offline depending on where the interest lies. Some freelance editors prefer real negotiations with clients while others love to work remotely. In any case, many jobs are now available for freelance editors. There are several places where you will find freelance editing jobs:
- Grantmaking, civic, religious, and similar organizations.
- Technical companies.
- Books, magazines, and periodical publisher.
- Information services departments.
- Mass media and entertainment offices.
- Freelancing sites and forums.
Tools Can Help With Freelance Editing Jobs
Editing jobs are made slightly easier with some tools that will aid the editors in becoming more efficient and credible. Editors often use the following tools to improve
This is an online tool which helps editors to quickly complete or correct phrases in any position. It also helps the editor to spell check, correct repetitive sentences, and expand abbreviations, to name just a few of the features.
This is another tools handled by editors. This assists them in highlighting content that makes writing hard to read. This app will detect long sentences and complicated words and also show when a sentence utilizes a passive voice. The editor will help you correct all of these.
Ginger Grammar and Spell Checker
This is a great editing tool that works with both iOS and Android devices. It helps the editor check for grammar and spelling errors. Simple but useful.
This is another good editing tool that a good editor has in his or her arsenal. This app enables the editor to detect spelling errors and poor vocabulary. It finds words that are in the wrong context. It suggests words to replace those that are overused. All of these things combined greatly improve the finished product.
This is an excellent editing tool that is mostly used by editors in the health niche. Other editors can still use it, however, as it also helps to check abbreviations and spelling inconsistency. The software accepts track changes, updates cross-references, and also removes double spaces.
Getting Freelance Editing Jobs
Some companies prefer to work with full-time editing staff, however, many are starting to go the route of freelancers. You can get in on this movement as long as you ensure you are reliable and your work is top quality. A lot of companies put an emphasis on meeting deadlines. They are also careful that the information published is correct and accurate. The workload can sometimes become stressful for freelancers. Sometimes they take on more work than they can
Freelance Editing Job Qualifications
Before you can even apply for an editing job, you may need to meet all or some of the following requirements:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in either English language, journalism, or communications.
- Have previous experience in writing and proofreading..
- Have expertise in media-related courses like social media, newspaper publication, and television.
- Have strong writing skills.
How to Get Hired for Freelance Editing Jobs
- Create a portfolio that shows off the best of your previous experience.
- Have previous experience in editing, even if this means taking on a few lower paying jobs to work your way up.
- Apply for internships. They may not pay but they will be an excellent experience and may result in a job after.
- Take some courses and perhaps pursue a degree or certificate if you don’t already have one.
- Ensure you have a computer that functions properly and a good quality internet connection.
- Brush up on your editing skills by taking some training or do some exercises for yourself.
- Be familiar with multimedia production, graphics design, electronic publishing, and social media publication. This is an added advantage when seeking a job. The more versatile you are, the better chance you have of finding work.
- Ensure your knowledge of proper grammar and punctuation is flawless. You are there to catch simple mistakes, not make them.
Top 10 Freelance Editing Jobs
There are so many freelance editing jobs out there, though some will be more lucrative than others. There are ten branches of editing where a freelancer can be very successful.
This jobs entails researching and working with others in the editing field. You will proofread, edit copy, and check for writing accuracy.
Copy Editing Jobs
This role includes checking the text for spelling errors and incorrect syntax. You will check for punctuation and grammar mistakes. You can freelance for publishing companies, writers, and advertising agencies. The pay will vary with each company, but the average copyeditor makes about $0.18 per word.
You will be in charge of making decisions that influence others positively. Things like scheduling the working hours for other editors and adjusting and giving deadlines. You will edit submitted content and enforce beneficial editing procedures. Average pay for a freelance managing editor is $22.06 per hour.
One can be work remotely as an editor in chief for any company. The job entails setting the editorial tone. You will be planning and representing the organization. The editor in chief will
As the name implies, this job entails supervising others, and the senior editor manages the team of editors. The editor oversees the content creation of the company by ensuring that the styles, rules, and quality standards of each job are always met. It is amongst their duties to set deadlines for tasks and follow up with the editors to make sure they are on track. The senior editor makes sure everything is
This job entails having specific knowledge to tackle particular tasks that are a bit complex. This can include creating manuals or clinical protocols. This job always needs the editor to work with others like researchers or subject matter experts so that the submitted work will be accurate.
This will have you working more with raw materials like camera footage, sound effects, graphics, and special effects. You will cut, edit, and mold it into the finished product. This is used for TV shows, commercials, films, etc. Other aspects include color correction, sound mixing, and titling. Video editors average about $30 per hour.
These roles include assembling shots of footage into a coherent sequence. This is mechanically putting the pieces of film together. It also involves cutting off film slates, editing dialogue scenes, and generally blending images and sounds. So, a film editor needs a good sense of timing and visual alertness to be able to meet with the demands of this job. Hourly pay for film editor is between $26.18 and 50.31 depending on the company.
This is another top freelance editing job where you can work from any location. The job description here is about allocating and coordinating photos as well as improving the images. It also has to do with selecting photos, editing them, and positioning them for future use. One can even negotiate fees and rights to photos and equally obtaining permissions to some photography. You will be receiving, reviewing, editing, and approving images. They are used for dissemination and publication. Photo editors average
This is a job where editors are to select and assemble audio recordings for final publication. Mediums include motion pictures, video games, and television programs. So, a sound editor must pay attention to details to be able to cope with the demands of the job. A sound editor earns about $26.98 per hour.
Personal Qualities Freelance Editors Should Possess
Apart from the acquired editing knowledge, there are natural qualities freelance editors should maintain.
- Being creative: Come up with good attention-grabbing headlines and ideas.
- Interpersonal skills: This is important. You need this skill since you will be working with others.
- Good judgment: Editing jobs require one with a good sense of view especially on stories. One needs to know if it is ethical and appropriate.
- Detail oriented: You need to possess the spirit of patience to pay attention to minor and significant details of a job.